Monday, December 13, 2010

More Helicopters, A Flood and a night out...

We're still isolated. Sure, the water has gone down enough and you can get out if you really need to but now, we're just waiting for the flood water from further upstream to completely isolate us once more. Basically, we're going to be here for at least a week. If you were to take a look at the graph of the river height, you'd see that it has held at a pretty high level and hasn't moved much at all.

It is a bit of a laugh to hear those who are desperate to get off the island! I'm sure that Ganeida can laugh with me on this!

Some women I know are off to see Bon Jovi in concert this week. In order to make sure they get out, they have arranged to leave their cars at friends who are on high ground and if need be, they'll get a boat over the water. (They could wish for a helicopter ride but I think that the SES won't spring for that!) Others have accomodation booked for the Christmas holidays and want to know that they can get to it as they fear that the cost will not be refunded because they were flooded in.

Meanwhile, food and people are getting moved around by helicopter as the flood continues to stop the normal human and food movement via the roads.

Over the weekend, I decided to take the Chevy for a run and it certainly needed it! One of my stops included the local SES shed where I wanted to ask about the shop deliveries getting through. One of the crew for the helicopter was there and we struck up conversation. Soon enough, he was inviting me down for a good look at the machine which of course, I was willing enough for! It seemed a fair swap anyway, a ride in the Chevy for a look at the helicopter!

After a good look around, some good chat about BK117 helicopters versus Airtractor Ag planes, along with some chat about the Rural Fire Service (which the machine is actually contracted to) the rest of the crew arrived for their afternoon work. I got invited up for a fly but refused, mainly because I was concerned that it would not look good in the eyes of the SES. I still think I've done the right thing, even though the crew want me to go up! I was happy to take photos of the machine as it took off.

Later, when the crew and their machine returned, I was asked to join them for dinner, which was a hilarious and fun evening down at the local pub, where there was an 18th birthday party that Seth was attending. I can assure you, when kids started arriving in fancy dress from another party, the pilots and crew didn't let them get away with it! In many ways, it felt very natural to be around these men and I realised that it was something that I miss. It was an honour and a privilege to have been able to spend some time with them. At this rate, we'll be entertaining helicopter crews for some time yet, that's for sure!

1 comment:

Ganeida said...

Yeah, pilots are a different breed, aren't they?

lol to your poor *islanders*. That sort of stuff I can cope with but I now have enough adrenalin in my system to last me a lifetime thanks to city driving. R got out of Dubbo just before it went under & is home again ~ without detouring to you.

Are you going to be in QLD at all during the school break? I know Liddy had plans on visiting you but the weather is less than co~operative just now. ♥♥♥ for you all.